Pages

Friday 22 February 2013

The Dollhouse - A Haunting Experience

The Niagara Region is rich with history that is centuries old. Every municipality in Niagara boasts Victorian mansions, monuments and historical buildings. With so much history in one area is it any wonder that some of these buildings are said to be haunted?

The Mildred Mahoney Dollhouse Gallery or "The Dollhouse" as it is called by locals is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Niagara.


The Dollhouse, 657 Niagara Boulevard, Fort Erie
Located at 657 Niagara Boulevard along the Niagra River in Fort Erie, The Dollhouse was originally built in 1835. During the 19th century the building was a main entry point of the Underground Railway. A large tunnel was located in the basement of the builidng until it was sealed as a result of the owner's son drowning in the tunnel. Today visitors can view recreated quarters that would have served as a safe haven for escaped slaves.It is said that the building is haunted by the spirit of the former owner's drowned son. Current owners describe incidences of objects moving by themselves, creaks on staircases, voices of children and that of an old man.

In addition to being known as a "haunted house," The Mildred Mahoney Dollhouse Gallery was once home to the largest dolls' house collection in the world.

The building is now owned by the Niagara Parks Commission but due to lack of funding it no longer houses it's impressive dollhouse collection. While "The Dollhouse" is no longer operating as a gallery, believers in spirts and paranormal activity and sceptics alike can still stop by to decide for themselves if it truly is haunted.

Interested in haunted houses? Check out Glenn White's experience at The Dollhouse

3 comments:

  1. That's so creepy!! But an incredible history. I have always had an interest in the Underground Railway, and I never knew historical monuments of this nature existed in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sends shivers up my spine! As much as I tell myself "I don't believe in ghosts; I don't believe in ghosts; I don't believe in ghosts!!!" I still wanna cry every time I'm near somewhere "haunted." I did the ghost walk once at Fort George .... thanks for the recommendation but I think I'm haunted out for life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this stuff! If I could I would spend a night in every haunted house in the world. I can't say i believe in spirits and specters and what not, but the atmosphere they create in these places is always a thrill.

    ReplyDelete